Skip to main content

Adult Care Facility - Residence for Adults


State Health, Department of

In New York State, facilities that provide long-term residential care for adults need a Certificate of Need. This certificate comes from the NYS Department of Health (NYSDOH).

Facilities need a certificate if they provide care for five or more adults. Operators can run other programs, such as social day care and rehabilitative services. They cannot provide medical care.

New laws are in effect to better govern care facilities. Operators should review them as soon as possible.

NYS Department of Health

NYC Metropolitan Area Office
90 Church Street, 14th Floor
New York, NY 10007-2919
Phone 2124174921

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool