Skip to main content

Certified Public Accountancy Professional License


State Education, Department of

Accountants, including Certified Public Accountants (CPAs), must be licensed to practice in New York State. This license is issued by the New York State Department of Education (NYSDOE). Accountants must have a license to use the title CPA.

Those applying for the license must meet education, experience, and exam requirements. Applicants with licenses elsewhere in the United States can have their license endorsed in New York. This endorsement allows the license holder to practice.

NYS Education Department

Office of the Professions
Registration Unit, State Education Building
2nd Floor
Albany, NY 12234-1000
Phone (518) 474-3817
Fax (518) 402-2323

TDD/TTY: (518) 473-1426

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool