Skip to main content

Controlled Substances Registration


Federal Drug Enforcement Administration

Businesses that handle controlled substances must register with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). Controlled substances include drugs and medications for treating animals or humans.

These businesses must register:
  1. Medical doctors, veterinarians, pharmacies, hospitals, clinics, and teaching institutions.
  2. Manufacturers, importers/exporters, distributors, researchers, dog handlers, labs
  3. Chemical manufacturers, chemical importers/exporters, distributors
  4. Treatment clinics

Businesses that handle chemicals used to produce methamphetamines must complete a training and certification program.

New applications can be submitted online or by mail. Renewals must be completed online.

U.S. Department of Justice

Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
Office of Diversion Control – Regional Office
99 Tenth Avenue
New York, NY 10011
Phone (800) 882-9539
Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool