Skip to main content

Funeral Director, Embalmer, and Undertaker Licensing Requirements

Did you mean:
Registration for Funeral Directors in NYC


State Health, Department of

Funeral directors, embalmers, and undertakers need licenses. These licenses are from the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH).

Applicants must meet education requirements and pass an exam. Funeral directors and undertakers in New York City must register with the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH).

NYS Department of Health

Bureau of Funeral Directing

875 Central Avenue

Albany NY 12206
Phone (518) 402-0785
Fax (518) 402-0784

NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DoHMH)

Office of Vital Records

125 Worth Street, Room 125


New York NY 10013

For further assistance, please call 311 and ask for: Burial Desk/Funeral Director Registration

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool