Before you submit your application
Obtain a NYC Dog License and pay the dog license fee. You can apply for a new dog license by mail or online.
Guard dogs, and all dogs in New York City, must be vaccinated against rabies.
All guard dogs must be microchipped, and their microchip ID number must be provided to the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene when applying for or renewing their Guard Dog License.
List of Permit Fees. More info
- Guard dog license fee: $10 - paid annually
- Regular Dog license fee: $8.50 for a spayed / neutered dog, $34.00 without proof of spay / neutering - paid annually
List of accepted payment methods. More info
- Personal Check (made payable to the New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene)
- Certified Check (made payable to the New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene)
- Money Order (made payable to the New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene)
Ready to Apply?
Steps to apply by mail:
Call 311 to obtain a Guard Dog License application form.
Complete the Guard Dog License application form and mail the form and payment to the address listed on the form.
Once the application for the license is reviewed and approved, DOHMH will mail the license certificates and dog tags to the applicant.