Skip to main content

Master Plumber License


City Buildings, Department of

A master plumber can supervise or perform plumbing work in New York City. This license is issued by the Department of Buildings.

Other plumbers can work under the supervision of a master plumber.

In order to receive this license, you must have several years of experience, depending on your education. At least two years must have been completed as a Journeyman Plumber in New York City. Consult the link below on becoming a Journeyman Plumber.

Contact the Department of Buildings for more information.

NYC Department of Buildings (DOB)

Licensing Division

280 Broadway, 6th Floor

New York NY 10007
Phone (212) 393-2259

For further assistance, please call 311 and ask for: Licensing Unit.

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool