Skip to main content

Mental Health Practitioner Professional License


State Education, Department of

In New York State, mental health counselors must be licensed by the NYS Department of Education (NYSDOE).

Mental health counselors may work with individuals or groups. Applicants must meet educational and experience requirements, and pass an exam. Licensed professionals must meet certain continuing education requirements, depending on their field.

Contact the NYSDOE for more information.

NYS Education Department

Office of the Professions
Registration Unit, State Education Building
2nd Floor
Albany, NY 12234-1000
Phone (518) 474-3817
Fax (518) 402-2323

TDD/TTY: (518) 473-1426

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool