Skip to main content

Money Transmitter, License to be a

Did you mean: Money Services Business Registration


State Banking Department

Businesses that are money transmitters need licenses from the New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS).

Money transmitters sell or issue methods of payment, or send and receive money by wire transfer. Licensed businesses must display license information at their location. Contact information must be displayed on receipts.

Money transmitters must make a depository agreement with customers to assure the safety of bonds and assets.

NYS Department of Financial Services (DFS)

Licensed Financial Services
One State Street
New York, NY 10004-1417
Phone (212) 709-5507
Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool