Skip to main content

Water Well Contractor Registration


State Environmental Conservation, Department of

In New York State, businesses must register every year with the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to drill water wells.

To register as a New York State water well contractor, you must:
  • pass a two-part National Ground Water Association (NGWA) certification exam that focuses on drilling and pump installation;
  • submit a completed registration form; and
  • send a check or money order for $10 to cover the annual registration fee.
Registration is effective from April 1 to March 31 of the following year.

Additional resources

NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC)

Division of Water - Water Well Program
625 Broadway, 4th Floor
Albany, NY 12233-3508
Phone (877) 472-2619
Fax (518) 402-8290
Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool