Skip to main content

Welder License


City Buildings, Department of

A Welder License is required to perform structural welding work in New York City. This license is issued by the Department of Buildings.

In order to receive this license, you must either have certifications from the American Welding Society or the New York State Department of Transportation. Applicants are also subject to a background investigation.

Contact the Department of Buildings for more information.

Additional resources

NYC Department of Buildings (DOB)

Licensing Division
280 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10007
Phone (212) 393-2259

For further assistance, please call 311 and ask for: Licensing Unit.

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool