Skip to main content

Appearance Enhancement Business or Area Renter License

Did you mean:
Esthetics License


State State, Department of

Businesses that engage in beauty enhancement need a license. This license is separate from those needed to style hair, perform manicures, and so on. This license is from the New York State Department of State (NYSDOS).

Employees will need individual licenses for their area of practice. These include things such as cosmetology, nail enhancement, or cutting hair.

Independent contractors working on a business' premises need an Area Renter License. This license also comes from the NYSDOS.

New regulations are in place to protect workers. Read "Nail Salons-Important Information" and "Nail Salon Safety - What You Need To Know" for more information. Both are linked under "Additional Resources." Businesses that do not follow these laws will be punished.

NYS Department of State


123 William Street, 19th Floor

New York NY 10038-3804
Phone (518) 473-2492
Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool