Skip to main content

Esthetics License

Did you mean: Appearance Enhancement Business or Area Renter License


State State, Department of

People who conduct beauty treatments need an Esthetics License. This license comes from the New York State Department of State (NYSDOS).

Applicants must pass an exam. People who wish to work during the application can get a temporary license. People with five years of experience elsewhere, in a legal position, may not need to take the exam.

This license is not a permit for a business. Businesses need a separate license.

Make-over consultants and make-up artists at theaters do not need this license.

New regulations are in place to protect workers. Read "Nail Salons-Important Information" found in the Appearance Enhancement Information Page under Additional Resources.

NYS Department of State

123 William Street, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10038-3804
Phone (518) 473-2492
Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool