Skip to main content

Commercial Driver License - "S" School Bus Endorsement


State Motor Vehicles, Department of

A person who has a New York State commercial driver license (CDL) must have an "S" (school bus) endorsement to drive school buses.

The "S" endorsement is required if the school bus has the following characteristics:
  1. The school bus has a seating capacity of 16 or more adults (that includes the driver), or
  2. The school bus has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
A school bus driver may not apply for the “S” endorsement unless they already have a “P” (Passenger) endorsement or are applying for both the “S” and the “P” endorsement at the same time.

For this license, you will need to possess a New York State Commercial Driver License. Click the following link for more information about the Commercial Driver License.

NYS Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12220
Phone (212) 645-5550

To find the nearest DMV location, please visit the DMV's website or call the number above.

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool