Skip to main content

Commercial Driver License


State Motor Vehicles, Department of

In New York State, any person that drives a truck or other commercial vehicle needs a Commercial Driver License (CDL). The CDL is issued by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You will need a regular driver's license before applying for a CDL.

The DMV may issue a CDL to applicants who are New York State residents and already have a Class D, Class E, or Non-CDL Class C license. If you have a CDL from another state, you can trade it in for a CDL in New York.

This license does not permit holders to drive school buses.

NYS Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

6 Empire State Plaza

Albany NY 12220
Phone (212) 645-5550

To find the nearest DMV location, please visit the DMV's website or call the number above.

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool