Skip to main content

Domestic Animal Health Permit


State Agriculture and Markets, Department of

Businesses that buy, deal, or sell domestic animals need a Domestic Animal Health Permit. This permit is issued by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets.

Domestic animals include:

  • cattle (cows);
  • horses;
  • swine (pigs);
  • deer;
  • camels;
  • sheep;
  • goats; and
  • poultry.

Animals may be sold at wholesale or by auction. This permit does not cover dogs, cats, or other common pets.

This permit also allows businesses to transport poultry in New York State.

NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets

Division of Animal Industry
10B Airline Drive
Albany, NY 12235
Phone (518) 457-3502
Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool