Skip to main content

Electronic Cigarette Retail Store Registration


Before you submit your application

  • 1
  • 2
    A retail electronic cigarette store is a business devoted primarily to the sale of electronic cigarettes and accessories and in which the sale of other products is merely incidental. The sale of such other products shall be considered incidental if such sales generate less than 50% of the total annual gross sales.
    • 3
      The name on all supporting documents submitted must be the same as the name of the applicant provided on the application.
      • 4
        Applicants must provide a copy of a valid photo ID with the application. The name on the ID must match the name of the applicant on the application. Valid IDs are:

        • Driver’s license or non-driver ID
        • Alien Registration Card or Naturalization Certificate
        • U.S. or foreign passport
        • NYC Identification Card (IDNYC)
        • 5
          Food service establishments cannot register as a Retail Electronic Cigarette Store and may not allow use of electronic cigarettes. A food service establishment is defined as a place where food or beverage is provided for individual portion service directly to the consumer whether such food or beverage is provided free of charge or sold, and whether consumption occurs on or off the premises.
          • Ready to Apply?

            Steps to apply online:

          • 1
            Make electronic copies of all required supporting documents.
            • 2
              Go to the NYC Online Licensing System and create an online account. Select the new permit type "Tobacco/E-Cig Retail Registration and complete an online application. You will be prompted to upload copies of your supporting documents.
              • Read to Apply for Registration?
                Apply Online open_in_new

                Steps to apply in person:

              • 1
                Complete the application for registration and ensure you have all required supporting documentation.
                • 2
                  Completed applications and copies of required documentation may be submitted at the DCWP Citywide Licensing Center.

                    NYC Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP)

                    Licensing Center

                    42 Broadway, Lobby

                    New York NY 10004