Skip to main content

Employer Identification Number (EIN)


Federal Internal Revenue Service

Businesses need an Employer Identification Number (EIN) for many common purposes. EINs are issued by the Internal Revenue Service.

You will need an EIN if your business:
  • has employees, and/or
  • operates as a corporation or partnership, and/or
  • files employment, excise, alcohol, tobacco or firearms taxes, and/or
  • withholds taxes on income, other than wages, paid to non-resident aliens, and/or
  • offers a Keogh pension plan (sometimes called "HR 10" plan),
  • and/or if your business is involved with the following types of organizations:
    • Trusts, except certain grantor-owned revocable trusts, IRAs, Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Returns
    • Estates
    • Real estate mortgage investment conduits
    • Non-profit organizations
    • Farmers' cooperatives
    • Plan administrators.

Applying for an EIN is a free service offered by the Internal Revenue Service. Businesses can apply for an EIN by phone, fax, mail, or online.

In New York State, businesses with employees must also register with the NYS Department of Labor after receiving their EIN online.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

Business Questions Hotline

Phone (800) 829-4933

7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool