Skip to main content

Landscape Architect License


State Education, Department of

Any person who wishes to work as a landscape architect in New York State must have a license. This license comes from the New York State Department of Education (NYSDOE).

Applicants must meet educational and experience requirements, and must pass the Landscape Architect Registration Examination. LARE is given by the American Society of Landscape Architects. Learn more about the exam here.

Limited permits are available for landscape architects licensed in another state to practice in New York State. The permit is for a specific project that lasts no more than three years.

NYS Education Department

Office of the Professions
Registration Unit, State Education Building
2nd Floor
Albany, NY 12234-1000
Phone (518) 474-3817
Fax (518) 402-2323

TDD/TTY: (518) 473-1426

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool