Skip to main content

Temporary Residence, Permit to Operate


State Health, Department of

A hotel, motel, guesthouse, or other business that provides temporary shelter for more than ten people, for more than 60 hours a year, needs a Permit to Operate a Temporary Residence.

If operating within the five boroughs of New York City (Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island), contact the NYC Department of Buildings (DOB) and the NYC Department of City Planning (DCP).

Those found to be operating illegal residences are subject to prosecution under the law.

NYC Department of Buildings (DOB)

280 Broadway, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10007

DOB Contact Information:  Contact Us - Buildings (

NYC Department of City Planning

Zoning Information Desk
22 Reade Street, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10007

NYS Department of Health

NYC Metropolitan Area Office
90 Church Street, 14th Floor
New York, NY 10007-2919
Phone 2124174921

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool