Skip to main content

Private School License


State Education, Department of

Private schools for adults that operate for profit need a license. This license is from the New York State Department of Education (NYSDOE).

These schools include vocational training schools, trade schools, computer training schools, and language schools. Other types of schools for adults also need a license.

The following documents may be needed to open a school:
  • School license;
  • supporting documents for ownership;
  • Commissioner's consent;
  • financial documents;
  • applications for personnel;
  • Director's license;
  • Teacher's license;
  • Agent license;
  • Program license or curriculum applications;
  • Quarters license;
  • Secretary's license; and/or
  • samples of administrative forms.

NYS Education Department (NYSED)

Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision
99 Washington Avenue, Room 1613 OCP
Albany, NY 12234
Phone (518) 474-3969
Fax (518) 473-3644
Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool