Skip to main content

Taxicab License Transfer Tax


City Finance, Department of

Who Has to Pay This Tax?

If you transfer a taxicab license, the buyer must pay the transfer tax. If the buyer does not pay the tax, the seller will be held responsible for the tax.

If you transfer a controlling interest in a taxicab license (transferring shares of stock or the interest of an entity that owns the license) then it is treated as a transfer of the license. The new controlling entity must pay the tax.

Who is Exempt from the Tax?
The following transactions are exempt from the tax:

Transactions by or with New York State, a political subdivision of the State, or a public benefit corporation;

Transactions by or with the United States;

Transactions by or with the United Nations;

Transactions by or with not-for-profit organizations that were formed and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, or educational purposes or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals; and

Transfers of taxicab licenses or interests in licenses by means of a lease, license, or other rental arrangement, where the term does not exceed six months (including the maximum period for which the term can be extended or renewed).

Additional resources

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool