Skip to main content

Alcohol Dealer Registration


Federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau

All retail businesses that sell beer, wine, and/or liquor to the public must register with the United States Department of the Treasury's Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.

The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau classifies businesses selling alcohol into two categories:
  1. "Retail dealers" sell alcoholic beverages to any person. Retail dealers may include stores, restaurants, bars, private clubs, fraternal organizations, grocery stores, or supermarkets.
  2. "Wholesale dealers" sell liquor, beer, or wine at wholesale or to other dealers.
Businesses may complete one registration to cover several locations or different types of activity operating under the same Employer Identification Number (EIN).

Registration is due:
  • before opening your business, the alcohol portion thereof, or a new location of your business;
  • on or before July 1 each year only if there has been a change in your existing registration information;
  • within 30 days of discontinuing the alcohol portion of your business; and
  • within 30 days of going out of business.

U.S. Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau

1310 G Street, NW
Box 12
Washington, DC 20005
Phone (202) 453-2265
Fax (202) 453-2473

For registration questions, call: (877) 882-3277

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool