Skip to main content

Election by a Small Business Corporation


Federal Internal Revenue Service

An eligible domestic corporation can avoid double taxation from the Federal Government by electing to be treated as an "S corporation."

Generally, an S corporation is exempt from federal income tax, other than tax on certain capital gains and passive income. Shareholders must include their share of the corporation's income on their tax returns.

S corporations must file an Election of Small Business Corporation form to register with the IRS. S corporations and their shareholders must include special forms when filing their income and employment taxes. 

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

Business Questions Hotline

Phone (800) 829-4933

7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool