Skip to main content

Enhanced Assisted Living Residence (EALR) Certification

Did you mean:
Assisted Living Residence (ALR) License


State Health, Department of

Assisted living residences can get a certificate to be an Enhanced Assisted Living Residence (EALR). This certificate is from the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH).

EALRs serve people who exceed the normal standards of adult homes, enriched housing, or normal assisted living. It allows residents to "age in place." EALRs can hire licensed nurses to provide and supervised care. They can also hire a home health care agency to do the same.

EALRs must have a license to be an Assisted Living Residence. Click the following link to learn more about Assisted Living Residences. They cannot admit residents that need 24-hour medical care. However, current residents that need 24-hour medical care after moving in can stay in the EALR.

New rules are in place to govern all care facilities. Operators should be sure to review them.

NYS Department of Health

NYC Metropolitan Area Office

90 Church Street, 14th Floor

New York NY 10007-2919
Phone 2124174921

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool