Skip to main content

Grease Interceptor Information


City Environmental Protection, Department of

Every business or establishment that produces and disposes of fat, oil or grease (FOGs), such as restaurants, food processing establishments, hospitals, and day care and senior centers, must have a grease interceptor system to prevent the discharge of waste grease into the City's sewer systems.

Grease interceptors prevent FOGs from entering and clogging sewer lines by separating the FOGs from the normal wastewater stream. Grease interceptors should have all grease removed as frequently as necessary to avoid exceeding the interceptor’s rated capacity. The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) routinely sends inspectors to verify that such businesses have appropriate and well-maintained grease interceptor systems. Communicating the importance of proper grease handling to a business’s employees is often one of the most effective ways of ensuring compliance. Please visit the links below for a copy of DEP’s grease-related regulations and more information about best management practices for FOGs, or contact DEP using the contact information listed below.

DEP requires that only licensed plumbers install grease interceptors. A licensed plumber can determine the required size of grease interceptor needed depending on the size and nature of your business. For technical assistance, plumbers and business owners may write to the DEP’s Bureau of Wastewater Treatment, Compliance Engineering Section using the contact information listed below.

DEP encourages businesses to do everything possible to limit the impact of FOGs on the sewer system. DEP provides signs which can be posted above sinks to make FOGs reduction efforts more visible to a business’s employees. Both the FOGs from a business’s grease interceptor as well as waste cooking oil can be recycled or collected and disposed of by a fat renderer or other grease recycling company that is licensed as a trade waste hauler or private carter by the City of New York Business Integrity Commission (BIC).

There are two types of grease that can be picked up by a BIC licensed waste hauler: yellow grease (used cooking oil) and brown grease (from grease traps). Yellow grease is liquid and will often be picked up for free because it carries a market value when recycled. Brown grease is more viscous and solid, allowing businesses to either dispose of it in their solid waste stream or hire a private hauler for removal. Please consult with a licensed trade waste hauler or private carter for information about their specific rates and fees.

Additional resources

NYC Department of Environmental Protection (DEP)

Bureau of Wastewater Treatment

59-17 Junction Boulevard, 1st Floor LR

Flushing NY 11373-5108

For further assistance, please call 311 and ask for: Department of Environmental Protection

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool