Skip to main content

Home Inspector License


State State, Department of

Home inspectors need a license from the New York State Department of State (NYSDOS).

Inspectors can inspect:

  • heating and cooling systems;
  • plumbing systems;
  • electrical systems;
  • structural systems; and
  • other parts of residential buildings.

Architects, engineers, and code enforcement officials who inspect buildings as a part of their job do not need this license. But if they open a separate business, they need a license.

Applicants must meet education requirements and pass an exam. License holders must complete 24 hours of continuing education every two years. Architects and engineers are exempt from these requirements.

Licenses are valid for two years.

Additional resources

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool