Skip to main content

Medical Specialist Assistant Professional License


State Education, Department of

Medical specialist assistants work under a currently licensed specialist physician. In New York State, assistants need a license from the New York State Department of Education (NYSDOE).

Three types of license are available:

  • Orthopedic Specialist Assistant;
  • Urologic Specialist Assistant; and
  • Radiologic Specialist Assistant.

All applicants must meet educational and experience requirements.

NYS Education Department

Office of the Professions

Registration Unit, State Education Building

2nd Floor

Albany NY 12234-1000
Phone (518) 474-3817
Fax (518) 402-2323

TDD/TTY: (518) 473-1426

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool