Before you submit your application
Gather the documents you will need to complete the process. Select "more info" for a list of the required documents, or download the checklist as a PDF. More info
- Resumes for everyone who has ownership interest in the business.
- Bank letters including account numbers, a list of those authorized to sign on the account, and any limitations to a signer's authority.
- The business' federal, state, and city signed tax returns for the most recent tax year, including all schedules.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent resident alien status for each owner.
- Licenses and permits which the business holds.
- Lease agreements or proof of ownership for all business locations, which must be valid for at least six months after the date of application.
- Business contracts and invoices completed and signed, for services performed by the business, in New York City, within the past year, along with proof of payment.
- Proof of minority group status of each owner claiming minority status.
- Business start details demonstrating how the business was initially capitalized.
- Businesses incorporated outside New York State must provide a Certificate of Authority from the NYS Secretary of State. Learn more here.
- Sole Proprietors must provide a "Business Certificate" filed with the County Clerk if operating under a DBA name.
- Partnerships must provide a partnership agreement, and a business certificate as filed with county clerk.
- Limited Partnerships (LPs) and Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs) must provide a partnership agreement and a state filing receipt, including any amended receipts.
- Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) must provide an LLC Organizational Agreement and LLC Articles of Organization, a state filing receipt, including any amended receipts, and any membership certificates, front and back, as well as the next un-issued certificate.
- Corporations must provide Articles of Incorporation, corporate bylaws, a state filing receipt, including any amended receipts, and stock certificates, front and back, as well as the next un-issued certificate.
- Businesses operating under a trade name or doing-business-as name (DBA) must provide a Certificate of Assumed Name, as filed with the County Clerk. Learn more here.
Your business may qualify for the quicker Fast Track application if it has specific certifications from one of New York City's Fast Track partners. Qualifying certifications include Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprise (M/WBE), Locally based Business Enterprise (LBE), and NYS Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE). The City's Fast Track partners include:
- New York City School Construction Authority
- Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
- Women President's Educational Organization
- New York and New Jersey Minority Supplier Development Council Inc.
- New York State Department of Economic Development
Your businesses must have a Federal Tax ID. This could be an Employer Identification Number (EIN) or a Social Security Number (SSN) for sole proprietors. Learn more about employer identification numbers here.
Businesses must be a registered vendor with the City of New York. To register, you must create an account on the Payee Information Portal. A a PIP account provides you with a NYC Vendor Number.
Businesses are required to register with PASSPort. To register, you must create an account on the PASSPort portal. A PASSPort account puts your business on the Citywide Bidder List.
Be aware that the person who prepares and submits your application must be authorized as a representative of your business, and will be the main point of contact throughout the process.
Free certification workshops are available if you need any help with this process. Check the Business Courses page for details.
Ready to Apply?
Steps to apply online:
Gather electronic copies of your supporting documents.
To submit a standard or Fast Track application, click on the Apply Online button.
SBS Connect The online application will open in a new window.Apply Onlineopen_in_new
If you do not have electronic copies of your supporting documents, you may mail them to SBS within 30 days of submitting an online application.