Skip to main content

Performing Work on a Landmarked Property


Before you submit your application

  • 1
    Permission and signature of building owner and / or appropriate tenant ownership organization. See Guidelines and Materials Checklist link, above.
  • 2
    Drawings, plans and photographs as required for specific types of work. See the Guidelines And Materials Checklist link, above, for more information.
  • 3
    Warning Letter or Notice of Violation numbers if applicable.
  • 4
    List of Permit Fees. More info
    • Certificate of Appropriateness and a Certificate of No Effect: $50 for the first $25,000 of work, and $3 for every $1000 for any projected cost above $25,000. For example, a $50,000 project has a $125 fee from the Landmarks Commission. Permit for Minor Work: no fee List of accepted payment methods.
  • 5
    List of accepted payment methods. More info
    • Cash (The fees are collected at the Department of Buildings.)
  • Ready to Apply?

    Steps to apply in person:

  • 1
    If you do not know whether your building is an individual landmark or located within a historic district, call 311 and ask for the Landmarks Preservation Commission.
  • 2
    Review the Guidelines and Materials Checklist for Performing Work on Landmarked Buildings and the Frequently Asked Questions provided above for additional information. Ordinary exterior repairs and maintenance, such as replacing broken window glass or repainting a door the same color do not require LPC's review or approval.
  • 3
    Complete and submit the Application Form for Work on Designated Properties, available at the link above. Provide drawings and renderings to detail the work you wish to perform on your property.
  • 4
    If you have received a Warning Letter or Notice of Violation, include the information on your application form.
  • 5
    Applications may be filed by mail or in person at the address below.
  • 6
    Once the application is received it is given a docket number and assigned to a Preservation Department staff member. The staff will determine which type of permit (Certificate of No Effect, Permit for Minor Work or Certificate of Appropriateness) should be issued based on the proposed work.
  • 7
    If the application is incomplete, the staff member will contact you and explain what additional materials are needed.
  • 8
    Depending on the complexity of the proposal, the staff may suggest that you and your architect or contractor meet at the Commission's office to discuss the proposed project. A meeting at your property may also be arranged.
  • 9
    The staff member will review the proposal to evaluate the effect of the proposed changes on the architectural and historic character of the building and / or the historic district.
  • 10
    If your application is approved, your permit will be sent to you. The permit must be posted prominently at the building while the work is underway.