Skip to main content

Retail Food Store License


State Agriculture and Markets, Department of

Businesses that sell food or food products for off-site consumption need a Retail Food Store License. Businesses that sell hazardous foods such as milk, eggs, and meat need this license. This license is issued by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets.

Each location needs a separate license.

Businesses that only sell non-hazardous, pre-packaged foods do not need this license. Food service establishments, such as cafes and restaurants, do not need this license. Vending machines do not need this license.

NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets

Food Safety & Inspection Unit

10B Airline Drive

Albany NY 12235
Phone (518) 485-5326
Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool