Skip to main content

Waste Transporter Permit


State Environmental Conservation, Department of

A Waste Transporter Permit authorizes a business to engage in waste transportation by vehicle in New York State.

Waste includes:
  • non-hazardous industrial/commercial wastes;
  • asbestos;
  • hazardous industrial/commercial waste;
  • waste oil;
  • waste tires;
  • petroleum-contaminated soil;
  • non-residential raw sewage or sewage-contaminated wastes;
  • grease trap waste;
  • sewage or water supply treatment plant sludge;
  • medical waste;
  • septage (residential);
  • residential raw sewage including portable toilet waste;
  • low-level radioactive waste; and
  • mixed waste.
Businesses must have a USEPA Identification Number to transport dangerous waste. Visit the following page for more information on obtaining this Number.

NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC)

Division of Materials Management
Bureau of Permitting and Planning
625 Broadway, 9th Floor
Albany, NY 12233-7253
Phone (518) 402-8792
Fax (518) 402-9034
Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool