Skip to main content

Watch, Guard, or Patrol Agency License


State State, Department of

Security service businesses, such as watch, guard, and patrol agencies, need a license. This license, which can be for an individual or business, is from the New York State Department of State (NYSDOS).

License holders must be at least 25 years old, and meet experience requirements. License holders must have no serious criminal convictions, pass an exam, and provide fingerprints.

NYS Department of State


123 William Street, 19th Floor

New York NY 10038-3804
Phone (518) 473-2492
Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool