Skip to main content

Food Processing Establishment License

Did you mean:
Non-Retail Food Processing Establishment Permit


State Agriculture and Markets, Department of

Any business that sells packaged foods that are ready to eat needs a Food Processing Establishment License. This license is issued by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets.

Food processing is defined as the processing of foods in any manner, such as:
  • manufacturing;
  • canning;
  • preserving;
  • freezing;
  • drying;
  • dehydrating;
  • juicing;
  • pickling;
  • baking;
  • brining;
  • bottling;
  • packing;
  • repacking;
  • pressing;
  • waxing;
  • heating or cooking; and
  • otherwise treating food in such a way as to create a risk that it may become adulterated if improperly handled.
Retail food stores that conduct any type of food preparation need licensing. Preparation methods include:
  • meat grinding or cheese slicing;
  • heating foods;
  • sandwich and beverage dispensing machines;
  • preparing sushi;
  • salad bars; and
  • other ready-to-eat exposed food packaging activities.

NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets

Food Safety & Inspection Unit

10B Airline Drive

Albany NY 12235
Phone (518) 485-5326
Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool