Skip to main content

Non-Retail Food Processing Establishment Permit

Did you mean:
Food Service Establishment Permit
New Application Fees $200.00 HOW TO APPLY
Renewal Fees $200.00 OPERATING & RENEWING
Renewal Cycle Annually OPERATING & RENEWING


City Health and Mental Hygiene, Department of

Non-Retail Food Processing Establishments must obtain a permit from the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene to operate in New York City. A Non-Retail Food Processing Establishment is a place where food is processed, prepared, stored or packed for consumption off the premises and not given or sold directly to the consumer.<br/><br/>

This includes Shared Kitchens, Food Vending Machine Commissaries, Mobile Food Unit Commissaries, Mobile Food Unit Depots, and Wholesale Food Establishments.  

Wholesale Food Establishments are places where food (other than seafood) is kept and not sold or offered for sale to the public and are not otherwise regulated or permitted by the New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets or other appropriate regulatory agencies.  

Mobile food unit commissaries are any place in which food, containers or supplies are processed, prepared, handled, packed, transferred or stored, and from which food is distributed to a food vendor or from which a mobile food unit is supplied. 

Mobile food unit depots are any place where five or more mobile food units and their non-food supplies are stored or serviced.

NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DoHMH)

Office of Permits and Licensing

125 Worth Street


New York NY 10013

For further assistance, please call 311 and ask for: Non-Retail Food Processing Establishment Permit

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.
Use the Step by Step tool